On Thanksgiving Day, 6 years ago, Abigail Dawn was born! She entered this world as the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. She stole the heart of her Papa and Mama and just about anyone else who knew her. She was much celebrated by all our friends and family.

This year, again on Thanksgiving day, Abigail Dawn celebrated her 6th birthday. I know every mother says this but, "How did she get so BIG?!" My sweet baby girl that made me into a Mama is growing into a sweet young lady. When I look at her I see so many things! I see a little girl who loves to read; I see a cowgirl riding on her horse; I see a horse tossing its head in the wind; I see the apple of her Papa's eye; I see creative ideas bursting forth from an ever busy little mind; I see a daydreamer, flying high above the pages of school work to far-off places; I see a fountain of giggles and a well of laughter; I see a spring of songs bubbling out; I see a budding artist, a blossoming writer; I see a generous giver; I see a wonderful helper; I see a kind older sister; I see a source of joy. And often I see myself. Usually when us moms see ourselves mirrored in our children we see the negative parts of ourselves (well, at least I do). But on Abbi's birthday I saw an expression on her face that no one else could possibly have completely understood and it was a treasure to me.
As she was unwrapping her presents from Grampa and Gramma, she came to some books. The top one was fun, filled with animal stories. The bottom one made her gasp, sit back and stare. I don't know if anyone else saw her face, but I did. And I knew just what she was thinking and feeling for I have felt that way before. In her hands was a book that she loves (we have borrowed it from the library on may occasions). Her expression was one of shock and wonder and joy, yet she could hardly squeak out a 'thank you.' All I could think of was the overwhelming rush I felt when Andrew asked me to marry him. My little girl who is growing up so fast, yes - she is quite a bit like me. But I guess that isn't necessarily a bad thing!
Anyway, that is a silly little story, but one that I will remember and treasure forever.
Abigail's birthday festivities stretched from Thursday (her real birthday) to Saturday, when we celebrated with my side of the family. Her celebration started with a breakfast date with her Papa and ended with a very fruity "Sorbet" cake (rather than an ice-cream cake). In between were lots of gifts from loving family, lots of laughs and very much fun.
"Now," you ask, "where are all the pictures?" heh. Well, I'm ashamed to say it, but we only have a few. I totally forgot to get the camera out on her REAL birthday, but Andrew did manage to snap a few on Saturday.

And so we begin our seventh year as parents - surely the most difficult, yet most rewarding thing I've ever done!


She is so beautiful and so fortunate to have you for a mama! Happy Birthday Abigail!! You have people that love you in Pa. :)
ReplyDelete~Darla
Mama Licia, Abigail Dawn was truly the most beautiful baby girl born on Thanksgiving Day 2004! She stole my heart and has it to this day. I am so privileged to be her Munga and am honored that she shares the name of another beautiful baby girl born many years ago. I am in awe of the young lady she is becoming. She has a shining example before her each and every day! :)
ReplyDelete