Early this morning, following the Carpenter’s departure, I rejected the alluring opportunity to crawl back into my still warm bed and drift into dreamy oblivion for an extra hour and a half. Instead I decided to do one of the things I dislike the most: exercise. I don’t like to exercise. If you ever see me running, be sure to look and see what it is that I am running from; I will probably need some help, either to escape a fleet-footed foe or to revive me after I collapse from exhaustion. I don’t like to exercise. But, I know that something needs to be done.
My childbearing days are over and I’ve run out of good excuses. I’m going to need to resurrect my tummy muscles so that I can properly sit on the floor for extended periods of time in order to play with the train set and the blocks. I’m going to need to have legs that have a better chance of actually keeping up with my lightning fast children. I’m going to need to have healthy lungs that can make my voice heard over the roar of laughter and lions, the squeals of horses and hilarity, and the unending jibber-jabber of story-telling children interwoven with too many questions. In other words, I’ve gotta get moving.
So, this morning it began. I found a free T-Tapp workout and thought, “Why not? It can’t be that bad and they’re claiming you see results after only TEN TIMES!” Well, I was wrong. It was bad. (Or maybe I’m in worse shape than I thought!) But, I must admit that when I was done I felt pretty good, not to mention a little bit prematurely proud of myself.
Then, to top it all off I decided to continue my torture and do laps this afternoon – up the hill behind the house, down and around the front, up the driveway, back to the top, lets do it again. I told myself I’d do 10 laps… or 30 minutes, whichever ended first. I finished the 10 laps first! Hooray! (And, thanks to the YakTracks that I borrowed from the carpenter, I managed to not slip and fall on either my face or my bum – thanks Philip!)
So, why am I publicly humiliating myself by telling you all how grossly out of shape I am? Well, to make all you mothers of young children feel not so alone in this world, AND so you can ask me if I’m persisting in my self-imposed exercise regimen.
So it begins. Lets hope it continues.
Whew! So good to know that I am not alone in "shaping up". 21 laps around the inside of the barn is a mile and yesterday I brought home a stationary bike (free at that). We have a challenge going on. The loser takes the winner to Pizza Hut =), according to Georgie! I'am having trouble with consistency, though! =( We will have to be accountable to each other! Love Ya!
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I just recently started doing Pilates together. I've found if we exercise together it actually gets done! :0 I hate doing it by myself. We've actually done it as a family a few times as well. Which was fun. We are hoping to get a tread mill here in the near future. That way I can be exercising while the kids are doing school! :)
ReplyDeleteI've got all of you beat. I jump on the rebounder, doing all kinds of dance moves and twists. Unfortunately my children decided to do a demonstration for Marlin tonight. It wasn't pretty.
ReplyDeleteToday I am sore. Very, very sore. I never KNEW I had these muscles!!
ReplyDeleteWe must, absolutely must! find a better seat for the stationary bike!! =(
ReplyDelete