We are eating chicken tonight.
We are eating chicken because of a rash vow made in anger. By me.
You see, while I was out yesterday, the gate to the garden either blew open or was left open and some of the chickens came in and decimated my carrots and some of my lettuce/swiss chard. I was really, really mad. Probably more mad than I should have been. Anyway, I sent a message to Andrew saying, "May the fox eat your chickens. So be it." I knew as I typed that had I left it with the first sentence, it would have been merely dramatic ramblings. But as I typed in the 'so be it,' I knew in my little inner knower that I was crossing the line. Unfortunately, in my anger, I didn't care. I wanted vengeance. So much so, that last evening before I went to bed, I purposefully ignored the little voice that said, "Go shut the door to the coop" (You see, we've left if open at night for a long time... and nothing had happened).
So, this morning shortly after 5:00, we were awakened to the distressed cries of one of our young chickens. As my eyes were snapping open, I knew what it was and I knew the cause without a doubt.
We scared the fox away - probably not permanently (as in, we didn't get any lead into it); I was shaking too hard to hold a gun and Andrew's eyes and glasses weren't cooperating with the scope.
Only two of the chickens are dead. Thankfully. My only fear is that the power of my vow still holds. But, there is repentance. I am very sobered by the recognition of the power of words. I also am very thankful that I learned this lesson first hand, but that the only cost was the life of a couple replaceable and edible chickens.
There is much power in the words we speak. There is more power in vows we make.
Lord, let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to You!
No comments:
Post a Comment