Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

Today we woke up to a very disappointed boy announcing that "it didn't snow a lot last night!" Poor Phin. He has been hopefully predicting a massive snow storm for weeks, now. Instead of his yearned for storm, we have a light sugar dusting covering the ground. Well, he wasn't too deterred! After chores and breakfast he and his brother bundled up and have been attempting to sled for the past 2 hours. One thing I don't understand is why both of them refuse to wear their mittens. They started with them on... and quickly dropped them in the red barn where the Carpenter has turned into the Mechanic and is working on his snowblower; Andrew also is hoping for a snow storm, if only to use his magnificently jerry-rigged machine. Abigail was outside for an hour or so coaxing the chickens to eat from her hand. We have our 'old hens,' some of which are almost two years old. Then, back in September, we hatched out a bunch of old heritage mixed breeds in an incubator. The babies are now about as big as the old ones! To top it all off, one of the old girls, Zoe, went broody about 2 weeks ago. She is sitting on 6 eggs; if she's been a good sitter (and if the eggs are fertilized) the chicks should hatch out next weekend!

And so begins the second day of our new year! The kids all have colds - enough to be coughing and sneezing, but not enough to damper their play. We've been enjoying chicken soup, teas, lots of cuddling, and lots of extra rest. Abigail is reading "Understood Betsy," a fabulous book that I recommend for kids and mama's alike! I have a stack about a mile high of books I would like to read for myself, and other ones I'd like to preview for Abigail. (So many books; so little time!!) I just finished a fantastic book by Eric Mataxas called "Bonhoeffer - Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy." Not surprisingly, it is a biography about Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I can't even begin to describe all of what and who Bonhoeffer was. I highly recommend this book, as well.

Well, the fellows are finally coming in, probably in search of lunch!

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Happy new year to you, too! What other books are in your stack? I am looking for something good to read - any more suggestions? We have to convince our friend Darla to start up her blog again, too. Glad your back!

    ReplyDelete