I still managed to find some eager young herbs stretching their fresh young arms to the warming sun. This thrills me to no end and I suddenly want to cast all duties to the wind (ehem… don’t I always?) and crawl around outside looking for more evidence of the new life stirring in the ground. I’ve been dreaming, day and night, of bitter dandelion greens cooked to Italian perfection; of pretty violets decorating a fresh spring salad; of tangy wood sorrel fresh on my tongue. I’ve even started thinking of hanging out my laundry to dry in the fresh air and the warm sun. Mmmmm. I have spring fever!!! Anyway, here are the herbs I found:
Mullein:
Mullein is one of my favorite herbs to have on hand in the winter. You can infuse olive oil with its flowers, or leaves if you lack the flowers, and then use the healing oil to aid in getting rid of earaches. The mullein expels moisture so that any ‘water’ that is stuck in the ear can be removed. I’ve used this on myself and the children effectively. We also burn mullein combined with coltsfoot and/or pine needles as incense to help break up chest congestion.
If you see these tall identifying stalks from last years mature plants, you will know where to look for the new fresh leaves of the mullein plant.
Dandelion:
Dandelion! I have fond memories of skipping around my Nonno (my Dad’s Dad) as he meandered around the yard picking the fresh leaves of this prolific 'weed'. If you then wash them, blanch them, then steam-sauté them with olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes, salt and pepper they are delectable – especially with crusty Italian bread (blanching is important as it helps reduce the bitterness). These are so very good for you, providing your body with lots of good vitamins and minerals. It is a natural blood purifier, a wholesome source of iron, and good for your liver. If you drink the water left over from blanching you are drinking a fabulous spring tonic!
Raspberry:
I also found the timid buds of the black raspberry peeking out from their thorny branches! For me this is more of a promise of the yummy things to come! My mouth is watering as I think of juicy berry cobbler or of fresh berries, still warm from the sun, sprinkled over creamy vanilla ice cream! Mmmmm!!
No comments:
Post a Comment