Monday: If it weren’t for these new fangled phones, Andrew and I would have contentedly overslept in our nice cozy bed, completely unaware of the fact that the rest of America was an hour ahead of us. Then, Andrew would have been late for work – but we wouldn’t have known it till after the fact. As it was, we were in bed at 8:30 Sunday night… ehem… 9:30 and I noticed that the time on Andrew’s phone was ‘not correct.’ So, we Googled “Daylight Savings” and found that we had been totally oblivious. Well, THAT is nothing new! However, I DID enjoy a very leisure morning with the children ‘sleeping in’ since they function completely independently of any clock.
Tuesday: On Tuesday, the wonderful, kind, fun, creative Mama disappeared and I had a hard time finding her. In her place arose a grouchy monster that should have eaten breakfast a couple hours earlier than she did. Fortunately, after lunch, children’s naptimes, and a bit of honest prayer, the REAL Mama came back.
In spite of the wicked intruder, we managed to spend most of the morning, and well into the afternoon, outside in the delightful spring air! We raked piles of leaves, moved old, broken sticks, and crawled around looking at every fresh green leaf we could find. Unfortunately, that just added to my frustration as the things I was looking for I couldn’t find, and the things I could find I couldn’t identify. I need a plant identification book that differentiates one piece of early spring flora from the others that are oh! so similar! If I were smarter, I would design a web site to which you could upload a photograph of the plant in question. It would then tell you what you have found! Voila!
At lunch time, I couldn’t bear to drag my vibrant children into the house (where loads of laundry were… are… piled, waiting to be folded) SO – we had the first picnic of the year! Hooray for sunny, south-facing hills!
Wednesday: Today, we bustled outside even faster than we did yesterday (and I ate breakfast a whole lot earlier so the grouchy Mama stayed away.) We brought out our school work and read and drew in the sunshine! Abbi and Phin climbed trees – somehow they are far better climbers than they were in the fall and they now go about twice as high. I’ve put my order in for extra energetic guardian angels, each equipped with an extra set of arms and eyes on the back of their heads. The boys love digging – that is no surprise – but of course they like to dig RIGHT where Mama is attempting to dig and they don’t want to move dirt out; they would rather fill in the ditch that Mama is painstakingly attempting to create. I repeatedly had to remind myself that (for now) I can still move more dirt more quickly than they can, AND when Papa comes home he will straighten out all the rough edges anyway. (We are relocating the play set, incase you were wondering.) Again, we had a lovely picnic lunch and remained outside even longer than we did yesterday.
Presently, the children are napping and I am furiously typing a small fraction of the thoughts that have been flying through my head. Which leads me to the following entry (I guess you could call it 'previous' since I posted it first, but to make it easier to read in order ... )
No comments:
Post a Comment