Thursday, March 4, 2010

Smells of Spring

In spite of the thick blanket of snow that still envelopes the ground, the morning sun is bright and promising. Though it is not the brilliant burning yellow of a summer morning it is the shy brightness of spring peeking over the hills. Despite the fact that the air is still cool and even occasionally downright cold, it doesn’t hold the same crisp nip that makes you want to retreat into hibernation. Rather, it has an earthy softness, a whisper of new life beginning to stir beneath the melting blanket of winter. The bird songs are changing – twitters are joining the regular chirps and you’ll occasionally hear a full-throated song of a cardinal or a chickadee. I’m still waiting for the first robin.


The red squirrels have emerged. I don’t know where they were all winter, but I imagine they were sleeping; I would have been. But now they have joined their bigger cousins in scampering about. Yesterday a big ol’ black squirrel trotted across the yard, obviously too close to the domain of a fiery red squirrel. That little critter ran down a tree, chattering ferociously, and ran at ol’ blacky chasing him away. One attack wasn’t sufficient; little red jumped at him again, just to make sure he was understood. I bet red squirrels are Irish.


We have all succumbed to a nasty bit of a cold. Even poor Lilly is dripping with snot and blowing bubbles out her nose. She is still smiling, though – a real little trooper. We’ve been burning mullein and coltsfoot, drinking tea, eating chicken soup, and blowing noses (you think it is annoying to blow your own nose? Try blowing four other noses as well!!). We’ve been reading books, drawing pictures, and even playing outside – how couldn’t we welcome the first stretches of spring?! Today, Phin has decreed that we need to make more granola. He wants to make cookies, too, but cookies and colds don’t go well together.


So, off I go! Lilly is now awake, I have three wolf pups clambering to be fed toast and eggs, and I need to blow my nose.


Happy Spring!

(Oh! And happy birthday, Gramma Mary! What are you? 49? *wink!*)

No comments:

Post a Comment