Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Boys and Puppies

You know that we have a puppy - he is exceedingly cute and it is hard for the children (especially Phin) to resist taunting, teasing, chasing, being chased and just plain roughing around with him. The kids aren't supposed to rile him up in the house. Tonight Phin 'forgot' so I had him take a breather by me in the kitchen while I was doing dishes. Eventually, Andrew started serving the much awaited dishes of ice cream and Phin got a little nervous, afraid he was going to miss out because I told him he was going to sit there "FOREVER (or until I say so)". He started his repentance: "I promise I won't get the dog riled up ever again in the house, I won't ever again take his toys and I won't ever chase him or try and get him to chase me, except for outside, but only if you say so. And I won't make him growl or bark at me again when he is eating by teasing him. And I promise I won't make him run and I will only pet him gently and I won't pull on the rope or tease him with it." (I was trying so hard not to laugh out loud by this point.) "Ok, Ok son, go sit at the table and wait for your ice cream."

Another phenomenon revolving around puppies and boys is the absurd fascination that boys have with poking dogs with sticks. This, of course, is a big no-no. Both boys have swiftly found that to assault Elroy with a stick results in an unpleasant confrontation with either the Carpenter or (if he happens to be at work) his right hand woman. Phinehas only tried it once; Liam had to try it again. Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

Elroy likes squirrel meat. Andrew saw an unwise squirrel digging in my garden and promptly decided to end its life. (NO ONE digs in Mama's garden!) Now, whenever either boy sees a squirrel they want someone, ANYone, to shoot it. For Elroy of course. No, son... Elroy can only eat one at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment