Fall is here (or will be in another day!). The air is cool and crisp, nipping at my fingers as I hang out the laundry. On the wind the earthy scent of dry leaves reaches my nose. The ash tree, once so completely green, now has brick red emerging at the edges, replacing the verdant color of summer. The sky, behind the scurrying clouds, is deep, rich blue that takes your breath away and begs to be gazed at. A bit ago, as the wind threatened to tear the sheets off the line, I looked up and saw golden leaves swirling away from the grasp of the walnut trees, rising higher than the highest limb that once held them fast. Then down they fall to litter the ground with bits of fallen sunlight. The hills transform before my eyes – a patchwork quilt of new reds, yellows, burnished bronze, all sewn together with the remaining greens that desperately hang on till the end.
With the death of summer comes a glorious season that fills me with life. Autumn in NY is wonderful. Not only is it a feast for the eyes, but the grapes hang heavy on the vine, apples fall from the trees, harvest is at its peak – a feast for our bellies!
I love the fall!
Me too!!! Grampa says the Lord decorates for his b'day! We are heading for the Adirondacks for a week. Yay!
ReplyDeleteYou, Madam, paint pictures and make poetry with your words! I love reading what you write!
ReplyDelete