Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rain, Children (and Ennio Morricone)

"Its Raining, Its Pouring, The Old Man Is Snoring!"

That was Liam's song for the day - a very applicable one at that! The drips started falling sometime while we slept last night, letting up just enough for the kids to run around in the drizzly gray this morning. The gray steadily thickened as the day went on and we cozily read books and drew pictures, drinking tea and eating crisp apples with soft cheese. At one point I had three wild horses scampering through the house with numerous troughs scattered in various locations throughout the downstairs. Lydia, hanging in her jolly-jumper thought they were hilarious.

This evening I went out to the library and was amazed at the vibrancy of the leaves as they shone through the hanging mist. The yellows and reds were especially heart stopping.

Speaking of heart stopping, I've just discovered Ennio Morricone - an Italian composer who writes incredible pieces of music! Just try and find the song "Deborah's Theme" and you will see what I mean. Morricone writes scores for films. I can't vouch for any of the movies, but the music is wonderful!

So, with lovely children, passionate music, vibrant leaves, and the cozy gray of autumn rain I had a lovely day! One of my ambitions is to ENJOY my children - rather than get lost in the never ending lists of things to do, thereby merely co-existing with them. I want to savor the precious moments, grab ahold of the teachable moments, laugh at the laughable moments... and quickly pass through the crazy moments when my ears ring because of the high decibels and my mind spins with trying to figure out what I was just going to do. I have been oh! so thankful as the Lord has faithfully been guiding me in my journey as a mama. I know I've a long way to go, but I have had more 'good' days lately, less 'bad' days. And, having tasted this sweetness I am loath to give it up! I want to continue in this journey of laying myself aside and watching my children blossom.

1 comment:

  1. I miss fall so much - this blog sums it all up so beautifully (sniff, sniff!). I love your Mommy heart, Licia. You described exactly what I am going through here, thousands of miles away! I'm trying to savor every mommy-moment. They are so precious! Keep up the good work! You'll never regret a moment spent playing, laughing, lingering over, and savoring you children.

    ReplyDelete