Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Curry and Naan


Yesterday, right around lunch time, I tweaked my back out. I wasn’t incapacitated, but the wind was definitely taken right out of my sails. So, Phin and Abbi decided to pray for my back. Here is what Phin said:


“Dear Jesus, please make Mama’s back ALL better. Please heal it so she can cook supper for us! Amen.”


After that I just HAD to cook supper, so after a hot bath, a lot of stretching, and a hero coming home from work a bit early, I settled on a super easy recipe for Chicken Curry. It was super good, served with rice and naan, so I thought I’d share!


Curried Chicken Stew

2 chicken breasts, chopped into smallish pieces

1 lg sweet potatoe, peeled an cut into ½” pieces

1 med onion, peeled and chopped

1 med zucchini (I didn’t use this)

1 small green pepper, chopped (I used a mix of red, orange and yellow)

1 ½ tsp curry powder

1 tsp cumin

1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

1 can diced tomatoes

¾ c veggi broth (I used water)

½ tsp salt


In big pot or skillet, cook chicken in a bit of oil with a dash or paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper.

Transfer to bowl.

In a bit more oil, cook vegetables till tender, 8-10 min.

Add curry powder and cumin; cook 1 min.

Add garbanzo beans and tomatoes, broth and salt.

Heat to boiling; reduce heat to med-low.

Cover and simmer till, veggies are very tender but not mushy.

Serve with cooked brown rice and naan.


Naan is an Indian flat bread that is fried in a pan. Sort of like a fluffy tortilla. You can use it in place of utensils by taking a piece of the naan and pinching a bite of food. Then pop it into your mouth and enjoy! Here is the recipe I used:


Naan

1 ½ cups water

1 T yeast

1 tsp salt

2 tsp cumin

2 tsp paprika

2 tsp turmeric

1/2 cup golden raisins

3-4 cups whole wheat flour

(The recipe called for 3 T mango chutney as well,

but I didn’t have it so I didn’t use it!)


Add yeast to water, let stand.

Add the spices and raisins plus 3 cups of the flour.

Mix well, adding flour till your dough I firm but slightly sticky

Divide dough into 6 sections.

Let rise 60 – 90 min

Divide each dough ball in half.

Flatten and roll into circle (hah!)

Let rest 5 min.

Heat fry pan to medium (cast iron works great!)

Coat lightly with a bit of olive oil.

Fry each rolled out dough ball till lightly brown on each side.

Very yummy.



Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Much better now, thank you! Andrew's mom came over for a couple hours today and I took it easy and I'll probably be as good as new on the morrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe sounds wonderful. I'm thinking i'll have to try it. Minus the raisins in the naan. Don't think the kids would be real excited about that.

    Sorry about your back. I know how nasty that can be.

    Love ya! Darla

    ReplyDelete