The past couple of days the kids have been filled with imagination: They have built houses, cooked meals, and taken care of horses. They've jumped off of houseboats with barrels tied to their backs (like in "Ping, the Duck"), driven to the store in their couch-car to buy colorful milk, and been wild indians. It is fun to watch them play together and even better to listen to them laugh! They are growing so fast and changing everyday.
It is fun to rediscover the world through their eyes - when I take the time to do so. Everything is so fresh and new. The other day a wee little gold finch hit the window and was stunned. I went outside, picked it up and brought it in. Each of the kids, save Lydia, had a chance to hold the delicate creature. Their energy filled world slammed to a stop and they suddenly moved in slow motion, quietly cupping their hands as they waited their turn to gently grasp the little bird. Loud laughing voices were suddenly silenced into whispered "Ooo's" and "Aahhhhs." They watched his rapid breath and giggled at the quick movements of his tail.
Right now, the memory of that quiet and contained energy is far away - a distant thought that is more like a yearned for dream: there are squawks and screeches, peels of laughter and loud growls as three children are vainly trying to get onto the couch - the couch that their Papa is lounging on. King of the couch, mayhaps? Life is so much more fun with a Papa at home!
Lydia has started 'talking' to the kids. She will sit in her little chair and make very girly yowls and yells in her high-pitched voice, demanding their attention. They will start laughing and giggling and she will call all the more. She breaks into wide grins each time one of them pauses to give her a momentary smile or greeting; they grin right back, thoroughly enjoying being the recipient of her affection. (Who wouldn't?!)
Truly, I am enjoying this role as mama. The more I embrace it the better it gets; the more I try to keep a bit of 'time to my self' or demand QUIET! the more frustrated I become.
So, since just about everyone under the sun makes new goals for the New Year, I thought I would share some of mine:
- - Be swift to listen - to my children, my husband, anyone who is talking
- - Stop and look, I mean REALLY look, at the things my children notice
- - Enjoy the things they (my kids) enjoy
- - Say, "Sure" more often, even when it is an inconvenience to me
- - Smile
- - Laugh
- - Be Joyful
Speaking of the New Year, wanna know what we did New Year's Eve? Well, just like any intelligent parent of four wily children that have no regard for adults who would like to sleep in, we went to bed! At 9:30. And we DID sleep in... til around 7:10! So far this year we have had fun company, gone sledding, played games, enjoyed yummy meals, and even gone to a museum!
Now, I need to go do dishes. I would like to have them fade into last year's memory but they followed me into 2010. O well! Dishes and laundry seem to be irremovably intwined with my existence. Maybe I should try embracing them as well??? Eh. I think I'll just endure. *grin!*
No comments:
Post a Comment