Monday, January 25, 2010

Rain!

"Geese keep dry in drippy weather,

Oiling feather after feather.

I keep just as dry and quicker;

I just have to …" *


… stay inside next to the open window through which a fresh, cool breeze is blowing, filled with the wet scent of freshly thawed, rain-soaked dirt. That is the easier thing to do with four little ones, three of which would instantly become walking mud pies if I allowed them to venture out into the sodden outdoors. I must admit that it is quite tempting to send them out in the rain; I sure would like to go. But, it is just cool enough and more than wet enough to transform any lengthy excursion into a brief traipse that ends with cold wet fingers and soaking wet clothes. I guess I’m not up for the adventure.


In the mean time, the creek is rising… ehem… risen and is roaring happily outside, across the driveway. It will be pleasant to listen to and will make me dream of peepers.


* The real ending to this poem by Aileen Fisher is "... wear my slicker"

No comments:

Post a Comment