I thought I’d share some photos and descriptions of some early spring herbs that we’ve been enjoying. I’ve always found it easier to learn when there are photos… but it isn’t often that you can find photos of the newly emerging leaves; plant identification books wait till the flowers are present!
First is mustard greens:

These bitter herbs are highly nutritious and easy to harvest; just pick ’em when you see ’em! In the past I would pick a WHOLE bunch and blanch them in hot water for a few minutes (to remove some of the bitterness) then transfer them to a pot with olive oil, garlic, and red pepper where they could sautee til tender. Salt and pepper to taste, then enjoy on crusty Italian bread. The only problem with this is that no one but me would eat them, as they are very bitter. So, now I chop them up and toss as couple handfuls into a pot of soup. I am planning on drying them as I pick them so that I will be able to use them in soups even as the season passes. You want to be sure and get them before they flower as then they get tough and stringy. The leaves are also nutritious.
Along with the mustard greens go dandelion greens:

Almost everyone knows how to distinguish this ‘weed’. The leaves can be used just like the mustard greens; you can also use small quantities of both raw in salads; if you use too much the salad does get quickly bitter. The other day, Abigail picked a basketful of dandelion flowers and I pan-fried them up in a batter made of egg, milk, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and flour. They were yummy! I am planning on making dandelion wine once the blossoms come out full force!
This is garlic mustard:

GARLIC MUSTARD
If you crush a leaf in your fingers it smells of garlic. Again, toss a handful of the fresh leaves in soup for added nutrition.
Here is burdock:

BURDOCK
The root can be scrubbed, chopped and sautéed in butter and garlic and it is supposed to taste like artichoke hearts. I have a bag full of the roots in the fridge that I plan on using either today or tomorrow. When I first started digging them, I was going for the big roots. I then found that I could gather many more of the skinny, first year plants much more quickly than I could dig up one second year root. I imagine that the first year roots are more tender than the second year, anyway. I’ll try and remember to let you know how we like them!
Edit: They ARE delicious! I sautèed them in butter with garlic, a pinch of dried mint, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Very yummy!

And this is yarrow:

EMERGING YARROW LEAVES
I don’t collect yarrow til it is blossoming in the summer, but it is exciting to identify it this early in the season. The leaves look like little ferns or feathers, curling close to the ground. Don’t let their delicate appearance fool you: Yarrow is a wonderful herb that is ideal for fighting cold and flu. I always have on hand a loose-leaf mix of yarrow, elder flower, and peppermint (called children’s composition) in order to make tea at a moment’s notice. Careful, though! Don’t let it steep too long or it will be too bitter to drink! Honey improves the taste, fore sure! You can also identify where yarrow is growing by looking for the dried flower stalks from last year’s mature plants:

LAST YEAR'S YARROW STALKS WITH DEAD FLOWERHEADS
Licia, have you ever done anything with the dandelion blossoms? I think you can eat them, too?
ReplyDelete