Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Additions

With the arrival of Spring comes an increase of outdoor play and a decrease of typing on the computer. That doesn’t mean my mind has been lax… no, I’ve composed many an entry while sitting outside. But alas, my ideas quickly vaporize as my days fill with other thoughts and things. Filled with other things…


You’d be surprised if you visited our country home. The number of critters around the house has expanded exponentially. First, as you know, Sally and Mander entered our lives. They are very entertaining and very easy to take care of. The biggest problem I’ve had with these little newts is that I find myself watching them catch little water worms when I should be doing the dishes. In addition to these little amphibians, we now have 21 baby chicks chirping on our front porch. Liam is constantly commenting on how cute they are: “Chicks. Cute.” Abigail has begun naming them – the gray one with the pale yellow head is Gracie. And Phinehas, compassionate Phinehas, told me with a soft voice that he really doesn’t want to eat the little chickies. I assured him that most likely they are all hens and rather than eating them we will eat their eggs – someday.


The same day our chicks arrived, Elroy entered our life. Though I have tried to deny it, Elroy has stolen my heart and I really like the critter. He is soft, very cuddly, and he looks up at me with the most trusting, love filled eyes. I think he has claimed me as his mother. Yes, Elroy is a puppy. He is mostly black with a horizontal white stripe on his chest, brown boots and brown eyebrows. And, he likes me. Actually, to be fair, he likes everyone. And everyone likes him – everyone, that is, except for Lydia. The bouncing ball of dark fur that tries to lick her face intimidates her. I can’t really blame her; if I had a creature that came leaping at me with a gaping mouth and a lolling tongue, I’m pretty sure I would shriek, too. Especially if I couldn’t get away! Plus, to Lydia, little Elroy really isn’t so little!


So there you are! We have a whole slew of new additions to out household! Looks like we will be having a very fun filled summer!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am SO glad you have a puppy!

    Thanks for the "Skintimate Salveation!" It actually HEALED a COLD SORE in 7 days, rather than at least 10!

    ReplyDelete