Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pita, Please!

This morning, I happened across a recipe for Pitas. The Carpenter has often mentioned that he likes them, so I spontaneously decided to make some for lunch. I was shockingly pleased with the results! Here is the recipe, from the blog Joy Unspeakable

For pitas:
3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
1 and 1/3 cups warm water (120-130 degrees)
1 Tablespoon yeast
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon oil
cornmeal for cookie sheets

- Place 1 cup of flour, 1 cup warm water, the 1/4 teaspoon sugar, and the yeast in a large bowl.
- Stir together and let sit for about 10 minutes or until it bubbles up.
- Add the rest of the pita bread ingredients except flour, and stir well.
- Now add the flour until the dough is easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and turn to coat all sides. Cover and let rise about one hour or until double.
- Punch dough down, and divide into 6 equal parts.
- Shape into balls, cover with a towel and let rise 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle ungreased cookie sheets with cornmeal.
- Roll each ball into a 1/8-inch thick circle.
- Place on cookie sheets and let rise 30 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until pitas are puffed and light brown.
- Cut each pita in half, then slice lengthwise down the middle to form a pocket.
- Fill with filling.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you liked the pita recipe. We love them too! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I just now came over here to yours, and I love it! I will definitely be keeping up with you and your family, as I am sure that I can learn from you with your four little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on the Glazed Chicken. That recipe I actually got from my sister. It is so yummy! I need to get my husband to help me fix that right side of my header, but thanks so much for letting me know! I did some HTML editing today tweaking some other things I didn't like in the new template. I am learning so much just experimenting!

    ReplyDelete