Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sourdough Bread

The delicious smell of baking bread wafted through the house, reaching my nose as I gave Lydia's hair one final rinse. Yikes! The bread! Quickly, I pulled Lilly out of the tub, wrapped her in a towel and carried her down the stairs. I tossed her to the Carpenter and bustled into the kitchen. Pulling open the oven door, my eyes beheld a sight of beauty: four golden-brown loaves of bread, their tops climbing as high as they could without flopping. I could almost see the good smell curl out of the oven in mouth-watering billows. Perfect! I pulled the loaves out, grabbed my faithful spatula and started the delicate process of removing the loaves from their pans (I use glass - never fear! A little greasing and flouring always helps!) As always a delectable piece of crust stuck in the corner of the first pan. Ahh! The privileges of being the Mama and the Chef! I pulled it off and popped it into my mouth...

... and my resolve to eat less bread was renewed with ease.

ALAS! I had forgotten the salt! Oh, woe of woes! Four lovely loaves of yeast-free sourdough bread made with fresh ground whole wheat flour and home-cultured buttermilk utterly RUINED!

*sigh*

I bet these loaves will last a l-o-n-g time.

1 comment:

  1. Ha. That post was hilarious! You had my mouth watering all the way up to the end; then relief that I didn't have to eat any! I made rolls several weeks ago with no salt in them. The only difference was that it was a new recipe I was trying, and I didn't even notice that it didn't call for salt. Now I make sure to check each recipe for salt before I decide to try it! The rolls were definitely missing a very important ingredient.

    ReplyDelete