5:30 am - This morning is mild. So mild that, after the Carpenter drove off, I wrapped up in a blanket, took my cup of warming coffee, snagged one of the kiddie-chairs and went to sit in the fading moon and starlight. It was so still. There was a steady breeze, cool, but without a chill. The stars were distant pin pricks of light, dimmed by the light of the moon as she raced to finish her journey across the sky unhindered, for once, by clouds.
The moon – the quiet light that illuminates the night; the quiet light that we would not see, save for her steady gaze at the sun.
If it wasn’t for the sun giving her his radiance, the moon would be dull and dead. The moon is the glory of the sun; when we see her, our thoughts can be rightly drawn to the ruler of the day without diminishing the beauty of the night-orb. The beauty of the moon can remind us of the sun as we eagerly await his dawning.
“…he [man] is the image and glory of God: but woman is the glory of man.” – 1 Corinthians 11:7
I want to be as the moon, ever reflecting the radiance of my lord and king – my husband. For though I have surrendered my life to the Lord and King, He has placed me beside this man that I may respect him, honor him, delight him, respond to him – just like the moon responds to the sun. When I stand beside my man, I want to joyously reflect the light and love that he shines on me; when we are apart and others see me, I want them to be able too see and recognize that I am well loved, well cared for, cherished and adored. I want my countenance to ever be lifted up, shining with Andrew’s light. God forbid that I try to shine on my own, separate and distinct from my man, for we are one; when I assert myself as my own I end up dividing what God has joined together – I am then out of order, standing alone and uncovered.
My relationship with my husband is supposed to be a representation of the relationship between Christ and His bride – what a sobering thought! Can you see Christ’s Bride questioning His decisions, His leadership, His way of doing things? No, this would not be right. Neither is it right for me to demand my own and assert my self. Can you see Christ’s Bride taking honor that belongs to the Lord and claiming it as hers? This too would be out of order. Can you see Christ’s Bride standing up and proclaiming that the light she shines with is from herself or because of her worth? No. When that happened, the Lord turned away from the Bride He had redeemed and left her to her own destruction. (See Ezekiel 16) Can you see the moon shining of her own accord, apart from her lord, the sun? No. And neither do I want to stand and shine apart from my beloved. I have tasted the goodness of this wondrous thing called marriage and never do I want to give it up!
The sky is beginning to glow. The Creator is dabbing His paintbrush in His wells of rose and tangerine and splashing the soft colors across the sky with broad strokes of His arm. The stars have faded behind the growing blue. But the moon, caught by her radiant lover, turns her pale face for one last kiss before she dips behind the solid hills.
No comments:
Post a Comment