Well, we made Sauerkraut in a crock! We've some friends that had a surplus of cabbage and carrots and we made a deal: they give us the carrots and cabbage, we make the kraut and give them 1/2 back! Nice deal!
Here are a few pictures of the process:
Today we decided to put it all into jars... if it was good! You see, I was scared. Really scared. The top was all covered with mold (which I expected) but it STANK. I mean, I was hunting for a year-old dirty diaper it stank so bad. I was hoping, hoping, hoping that beneath the stinky mold the kraut would be clean and lovely and yummy, too! Well, it was! We got 4 gallons of sauerkraut out of 18-20 cabbages.
Hmmm, what did we do? Shredded the carrots, shredded the cabbage. For each head of cabbage added 1 T of coarse Sea Salt. Periodically mashed and smashed and mixed. Tasted it a few times... added a bit more salt. Mashed some more. Then, left it for 4 weeks (or so). Now, since it started to stink, we jarred it!!!
Horray for sauerkraut!
And, for the fun of it, here a few pictures of a bouquet of poppies and other flowers that I had! Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment