Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Yummiest Corn Bread!

I never really liked corn bread. It always was dry, bland, and not too thrilling. Sure, I could choke down a piece with chili, but if there wasn't any I didn't miss it. Well, I have found a recipe that is out of this world! So much so that I try and plan on making chili - or some kind of bean soup - at least once a week... just for an excuse to make this lovely marvel! There are a couple of secrets that make this corn bread oh, so yummy! The first is starting with freshly milled corn meal and flour. The second is a cast iron pan. Here is the recipe:

Mix:
2 c Cornmeal (start with 1 1/4 c (or 1/2#) dried corn. This yields 2 c meal)
3/4 c Whole Wheat Flour (1/2 c Wheat Berries)
1/2 c Rapadura (or Sucanat or Sugar)
1/2 c Salt
1 t Bkng Soda

Add:
1 Egg
1 c Milk
1/2 c Butter, melted

Pour into cast iron pan.
Bake @ 350 for 30-40 min.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. Licia, you have to try bloody butcher corn, too. This corn is red and makes WONDERFUL corn bread. If you are ever in the area, I can give you some dry corn to grind. Your recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did forget to mention that you make fabulous corn bread, Brenda. Your corn bread is the only reason I attempted to make my own out of the fresh ground stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Licia, your recipe sounds better than the one I have. I first had cornbread made from bloody butcher (it's a red corn)at a friend of ours and Dave loved it, so he grew some the next year. It has a different flavor than the yellow. You will have to add that to your beautiful gardens next year. =) Now if you could give me advice on wild eatable plants.........

    ReplyDelete