We have so far enjoyed our 'surprise vacation.' Apart from Andrew's cabin fever and my broken routine, I think we have made good use of this time! School is still being done - though not at the usual times - and the boys have even had a different teacher (much to their delight!). We've continued our Underwater Theme - don't ask me why - and I think the kids have enjoyed it. Abigail now knows more about sea creatures than I do, and I'm the one who was supposed to be doing the teaching! Actually, she absorbs information from books like a sea-sponge absorbs water, and thereby she learns more than I could ever teach her in the 24 hours I'm given each day. Do any of you think that your allotted 24 hours are actually shorter than 24 hours other people get? Or am I the only one...
Lydia has started talking more. Yesterday, she kept finding random shoes and bringing them to me, asking me to put them on her little feet: "Grunt... Grunt... Grunt" with a couple of pointed jerks of her finger, was how her demand was stated. I told her to say, "Shoe on, please." Much to my delighted surprise she said, "Shshshshshooo AH!" And she hasn't stopped since! She especially likes Abigail's dress shoes, of course!
Phinehas is progressing in his reading and it has been LOW STRESS for me! I just get to listen as Andrew patiently urges him on, guiding him through his stubborn unwillingness and into peals of laughter as a story is created out of the words:
Andrew: "Phinehas is..."
Phin: "BIG!"
A: "... and riding a..."
P: "PIG!"
A: "... while wearing a..."
P: "WIG!"
A: "... and eating a..."
P: "FIG!"
A: "... and dancing a..."
P: "JIG!"
And Liam has finally had someone to spend FOCUSED time with him working on shapes and colors. I can see that Liam thrives with one-on-one time; he has just been shining with smiles and overflowing with giggles lately!
And me? I've been basking in the presence of my best friend, cherishing the glances, the smiles, and the shared laughter over the antics of our wee ones. I love my man! And he is coming along day by day. His leg's range of motion is steadily (but slowly) improving and his pain is lessening. I know he gets stir-crazy, but honestly! He is NOT the typical male! He hasn't complained a bit! Except for his crutches, you wouldn't know he is hurt. He still manages to be my hero each and every day.
Hm. By now you are all probably gagging so I'll stop! *grin!*
And now I'll be off to start on the ever rotating pile of dishes (that should have been done 4 hours ago!)
Love your new blog look! Very refreshing....like a scoop of sorbet....in a clear glass dish.
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear that Andy's doing well. Sounds like God may just be preparing you for a new kind of future. ;)
Love you much!! Darla
Thanks, Darla! Sorbet sounds good. Last night I made an Orange Julius - yogurt, milk, orange juice, vanilla and a bit o' sugar all blended into frothy goodness. A creamsicle in a glass! mmmmm!
ReplyDelete