Laura, it is a mixer, but it is pretty heavy duty. The column next to the mixer in the picture is a place where a blender or a food processor can attach; I've the blender.
I was able to put the mixer to the test today: I was mixing a double batch of bread - ~ 11 cups of flour, 3 cups of oats, 3 cups of raisins, plus milk and eggs and sugar (don't forget the salt!). I got it all mixed and realized my yeast/water mixture was sitting on the counter!!!! Oops. Well, I stuck all that mass of dough back into the mixer and poured the water/yeast in and set it to mix... and it did! The dough raised beautifully and the bread is now cooling on the counter!
We have the family grain mill - the hand crank version. Pleasant Hill Grains sells an attachment that connects to the mixer so that my hand crank unit will be mechanical. Yahoo! I just need to order that sometime. Oh hum!
I do like this much more than my old Kitchen Aid. However, my kitchen aid had been a free version that my husband rescued from the garbage. He tweaked the motor to get it running, but it was never the same as a 'good' one. It worked for me for three years, but was having a REALLY hard time mixing/kneading bread. I think it was on its way out.
Other than that, I'm still discovering the little tricks of the mixer. It is pretty powerful, though!
how does it work? it is just to mix?
ReplyDeleteLaura, it is a mixer, but it is pretty heavy duty. The column next to the mixer in the picture is a place where a blender or a food processor can attach; I've the blender.
ReplyDeleteI was able to put the mixer to the test today: I was mixing a double batch of bread - ~ 11 cups of flour, 3 cups of oats, 3 cups of raisins, plus milk and eggs and sugar (don't forget the salt!). I got it all mixed and realized my yeast/water mixture was sitting on the counter!!!! Oops. Well, I stuck all that mass of dough back into the mixer and poured the water/yeast in and set it to mix... and it did! The dough raised beautifully and the bread is now cooling on the counter!
We have the family grain mill - the hand crank version. Pleasant Hill Grains sells an attachment that connects to the mixer so that my hand crank unit will be mechanical. Yahoo! I just need to order that sometime. Oh hum!
I do like this much more than my old Kitchen Aid. However, my kitchen aid had been a free version that my husband rescued from the garbage. He tweaked the motor to get it running, but it was never the same as a 'good' one. It worked for me for three years, but was having a REALLY hard time mixing/kneading bread. I think it was on its way out.
Other than that, I'm still discovering the little tricks of the mixer. It is pretty powerful, though!
Gotta run!