Thursday, December 24, 2009

Indians in the House

Throughout the day, I usually am mother to a vast array of people and creatures. I often have baby goats, baby kittens, big lions, and water buffalo. I'm sure to find at least one little dog crawling around at some point during the day and not a day passes without a heard of wild horses galloping across the plains of carpet. When I don't have creatures crawling I have soaring cowboys on flying horses or indians creeping. Other times I have gypsies driving a great couch car across the ocean to Africa.

This morning, as I was luxuriating in bed, I heard the pitter-patter of little Liam feet coming from the boys' bedroom. From downstairs came a soft whistle, a call from the Papa Indian (who had gotten out of bed a short while before.) A soft, excited whisper of "Papa!" answered the whistle, then the little footsteps rapidly thumped down the stairs. It wasn't long till little Phinny Indian arose and was also greeted by an indian whistle; he too crept downstairs with little stomps.

I was thinking how great a Papa my kids have - how fun and loving - and I decided to join my chief and my little indian braves. This squaw knows how to creep quietly so I snuck down the stairs. As I descended, my nose was greeted with the sweet smell of homemade incense: mullein leaf mingled with pine needles to chase away a nasty cold that is trying to settle in our chests.

I have a whole collection of dried mullein plants that I harvested from the hill behind my father-in-law's house at the end of the summer; he sure had a bumper crop! They are hanging upside-down out on the front porch. At anytime, I can go out and grab some leaves and part of the stalk and set fire to them. They smolder fairly nicely and fill the house with a sweet smelling smoke that, amazingly, begins to break up the nasty phlegm that tries to reside in your chest. Mullein will help break up a tight cough and also expedite the drying up of a loose, lingering cough. It is a fantastic herb! You can also combine it with coltsfoot or pine needles to enhance the cough-kicking properties.

So, this family of gypsy-indians sat around the table this morning smelling sweet mullein and eating yummy apples and sipping tasty coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment