We had a lovely weekend! Some friends of ours from Pennsylvania came to visit. We spent Friday evening playing Settlers of Catan and staying up way too late. Then, on beautiful Saturday, we went sledding!
You should have seen it outside! On Friday night we had a mini snow storm so there was a fresh blanket of soft whiteness, glistening with winter snow fairies. The cloudless sky was an immense sea of brilliant blue that took your breath away. The combination of bright blue and sunlit white was dazzling; it was the winter day that everyone yearns for in the heat of summer. So, after taking a terribly long time to bundle up all the kids and the parents, we trudged outside. The cold was crisp and fresh, but not too biting. The kids took off as fast as they could, kind of like overstuffed snow bunnies that decided hopping was too hard and instead waddled like ducks. Liam especially looked like a little Ewok with a full-faced grin.
We grabbed our runner sled, compliments of my Aunt Chris, and thought about how we could get a nice path worn down in the powdery snow. Being way too lazy, we decided to wing it and see if the sled would work without any effort. And WOW! Did it ever! Andrew took Abbi and Phin down for the trial run and barley stopped before flying out into the road! Then it was our friends’ turn. They dodged the trees and avoided going into the road as well. Finally, after what seemed like ages to this little kid trapped in a Mama’s body, it was my turn. The Carpenter had me sit in front of him so that I could see all the trees he was weaving around. I think I screamed the whole way down.
I tell you what, if you live anywhere near us, you NEED to come visit sometime this winter. I have NEVER had so much fun! We have the best hill ever and the coolest sled this side of the 21st Century. All I could think about was the story from the Laura Books about when Pa was a boy: He and his brothers had built a runner sled, finishing it just before Sunday. On Sunday, when no fun was allowed, they quietly snuck outside to try the sled while their Father was dozing. They drug it up the hill and quietly got situated. Then, as they were picking up speed, a family pig stepped in the way of the sled and ended up getting a ride. It squealed the whole way down the hill (kind of like me) and past the house with Father’s face in the window. Oops!
Anyway, I think I had more fun than the kids. Andrew said I should go sledding everyday as a part of my new exercise program (that hill is a killer!). I think that will have to wait for naptime!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment