

Meet Rufus, our resident chipmunk. He has a vast underground domain beneath our back porch which, I am sure, is packed full of delicious tidbits for his winter enjoyment. Have you ever watched a chipmunk stuff his cheeks? It is unbelievable! Today I watched him pack at least half a handful of sunflower seeds into those amazing expandable pockets! Before that he shoved leaves, yes LEAVES, into his mouth like a naughty boy left alone in a candy store. Finally, I watched as he crammed a whole hickory nut into one cheek, leaving ample room on the other side for more sunflower seeds. Yes, he sure is a cheeky fellow; I want to try and feed him from my hand, so I’ve been sitting quietly outside in a wee little chair while he scampers around. We’ll see what comes of it! More than that, I want to feed a chickadee from my hand. Which brings us to “A Winter Clothesline:”

This, my friend, is how every clothesline should be used in the winter! It totally makes using the drier completely justified, even on semi-warm days. This morning I saw a red tailed hawk (not at the feeder) and my favorite: a lady cardinal! This afternoon, during naptime (as I was luring Rufus), I was quietly sitting and enjoying the birds flitting to and fro. Within 30 minutes I saw chickadees (TONS of them!), juncos, a pair of downy woodpeckers, a chicken sparrow (they scratch their feet like a chicken), tufted titmice, nuthatches, blue jays, and a lowly mourning dove (or is it morning dove?). I couldn’t believe how LOUD their little wings are when there are no other noises! I had one junco fly right by my head, only to land within 3 feet of me! How fun! It was food for the soul!
And, here is Lydia Grace. She is almost 4 months old. In the mornings, usually I am downstairs holding her when the boys get up. Phinehas always asks, “Where’s Papa?” but Liam usually rushes to Lilly with a delighted, “BeBe! Lillila!” They are sure fun!

Oh, Lilly is so cute! Looks like Phin, I think! Sounds like you are enjoying the serene peace of living in the country.
ReplyDeleteLilly is SO precious! Definitely looks like her Mama, IMHO!
ReplyDelete